Budding wildlife photographers and shutterbugs, listen up! Due to popular demand, the ‘BIG PICTURE’ Photographic Competition, sponsored by Canon South Africa, is back! Submit your best pictures and stand a chance to WIN one of TWO Canon EOS 1200D cameras (including bag, lens, 8GB memory card and training voucher) worth R18 000. Here’s how it works:
1) Living with Land Rovers
In this category, a Land Rover vehicle MUST be the subject of your photograph. This can include a portrait of you and your Land Rover; a landscape image of your Landy somewhere remote or in a majestic setting: Anything goes! The only requirement is that your Land Rover MUST be the focus of the image. Include a story (no more than 150 words) to describe the photo. One winner will be announced. No image smaller than 2MB (300 Dpi) will be accepted. The prize: Canon EOS 1200D (camera lens, bag, memory card and training voucher included).
Winning photograph from 2015 ‘BIG PICTURE’ Photo Competition (Living with Landys Category): Richard Pretorius with his image ‘Henties for the Weekend’
2) Africa’s Wildlife and Adventure
This category is a bit more widespread. Here, you can submit any image (landscape or portrait) capturing African wildlife, adventure or overland travel. Whether it’s a photo of a roaring male lion or of your recent trip to the Egyptian pyramids or Kalahari desert, your image must capture the essence of Africa. A Land Rover doesn’t necessarily have to be the focus of the image, but ‘Africa’ must! Include a story (no more than 150 words) to describe the photo. The prize: One Canon EOS 1200D (camera lens, bag, memory card and training voucher included). No image smaller than 2MB (300 Dpi) will be accepted.
Winner of our 2015 BIG PICTURE Photo Competition (African Wildlife & Adventure Category): Ken Roux with his image, “Wildebeest at Dawn”.
Our 2015 BIG PICTURE Photo Competition Winners (as featured in Issue#19) of Land Rover AFRICA Magazine.
FEATURE IN THE MAGAZINE
What’s great about this competition is that monthly short-listed entries will be showcased in the magazine and via our social media pages (Facebook). We’ll choose entries from each month’s submissions, and those will be shortlisted for the grand prize in Issue#24. We’ll encourage readers and followers to vote for their favourite photograph. However, public voting will not determine the winner, but will be considered by the panel of judges for the final prize.
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Entries for the competition close on the 30 December 2016. The winners will be announced in Issue 24 (February/March 2017 issue) of Land Rover AFRICA Magazine. The competition is judged by our panel of judges, including Canon-ambassadors and photographers. Input from the public will also be considered.
- All entries must be over 18 years of age.
- The competition is open to all South African citizens, except to employees and affiliates/family members of COSA Media (Pty) Ltd and Canon South Africa.
- One photo (for each category) is allowed per entry.
- Photograph of no less than 2MB (300 dpi) in size must be submitted and organisers may request higher resolution images (via Dropbox/WeTransfer).
- Entries should be in JPEG format and at least 1600 pixels wide (for horizontal images) and 1600 pixels high (for vertical images).
- Digital manipulation that distorts the reality of the photo will not be allowed. Only basic enhancements such as sharpening, contrast adjustment or simple cropping will be allowed.
- The organisers reserve the right to reject entries submitted past the 30 December 2016 deadline.
- Entries can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with ‘BIG PICTURE’ as the subject line.
- Entries must be the original and unpublished work of the participant and copyright owner.
- The organisers reserve the right to reproduce any entry in print, broadcast and/or electronic media without requiring the permission of the participant and without any fee payment. However, the photograph will be acknowledged.
- Images received through the photograph competition will not be used for commercial purposes.
- Prizes are non-transferrable and non-exchangeable for cash or in kind.
- The organisers reserve the right to modify the competition prizes and its rules/regulations as and when necessary, without prior notice.
- The organisers are not liable for any fault with any of the prizes and any issues should be referred to the manufacturer/supplier.
JUDGING AND RESULTS:
- The images will be selected by a panel of judges and their decision is final. No correspondence pertaining to the selection process and decision will be entertained.
- The panel of judges will evaluate the entries based on the following criteria: 1) artistic/visual appeal & 2) Extent to which the photograph captures the essence of the theme.
- Entries will be judged based on originality, creativity and relevance to the theme.
- The judging panel reserves the right not to award the prizes if the photographs submitted do not meet the requirements stated in this document.
- Results of the competition will be posted in Land Rover AFRICA Magazine and social media pages, and winners will be notified via email.